About my ratings

Perhaps because of my day job, I'm a tough rater. Everything 3/5 and above I consider worth the time and money. If I purchase on Etsy or a similar platform and the puzzle is as expected, I will give a top rating on the platform because of how seller ratings work, but here "as expected" is probably a 3/5 in most cases.

Monday, June 20, 2022

Majestic Monarch

Fathom Puzzles, 200 pieces. This is an extremely promising puzzle from a new maker. The acrylic pieces didn't quite work for me, although they weren't as bad as I feared when I looked at them. The butterfly pieces were varied in ways that did allow me to inspect for fit rather than just trying every single one and hoping for tiny deviations, but I think I would have preferred all-wood construction to make the process a bit less trial-and-error-ish--the shiny acrylic just wasn't as much fun for me. The internal wood pieces often change color slightly so that color is not super helpful in assembly, making this much harder than its size suggests. Recommended for anyone looking for something a bit different and seriously challenging. 4/5




No comments:

Post a Comment