About my ratings

Perhaps because of my day job, I'm a tough rater. Everything 3/5 and above I consider worth the time and money. If I purchase on Etsy or a similar platform and the puzzle is as expected, I will give a top rating on the platform because of how seller ratings work, but here "as expected" is probably a 3/5 in most cases.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Princess Hyacinth, Alfonse Mucha

Liberty, 475 pieces. It's interesting to see a puzzlemaker evolve, but early work from a known quantity can also be illuminating. This is an earlier Liberty, and it shows in a lot of ways: the eagle hasn't achieved its now-standard form.  The whimsies have lots of small-toothed edges in a way that might have seemed like a way of demonstrating the potentials of laser cutting, but that I don't enjoy as much as the present style.  There are a few abstract shapes that I haven't seen again.  In general, this seems to have been designed so that the pieces would look as much like hand-cut as possible, while I would say that current Liberty puzzles have instead embraced the special affordances of laser cutting, to their benefit.  3/5

Some representative whimsies--the geometric shapes look more like they're imitating hand-cut



back view

No comments:

Post a Comment